A diaper bag is an essential accessory for parents with babies and toddlers. These spacious bags are designed to store changing supplies, diapers toys, bottles, snacks, bottles and the list goes on.
However, these bags are available in a variety of designs and styles, which makes choosing the right one a difficult task. Rest assured, after reading this brief guide, you will learn how to select the best diaper bag for your little one.
*Notice: On mobile devices, scroll right to see entire table
Types Of Diaper Bag
Before you head over for a shopping spree, it is essential you familiarize yourself with the main types of diaper bags. Choose one or more according to your convenience and level of use. The most common types include:
- Messenger Bag: As the name indicates, these diaper bags resemble a messenger bag and feature a flap that covers the opening. This is among the most stylish kinds as you can sling the bag over your shoulder and across the chest. This is an ideal choice for dads but can also be used by women as well. The comfortable sling design reduces strain on the arms.
- Convertible: As the name indicates, these bags are convertible which means you can conveniently adjust or detach the straps. In some cases, you can also transform from one style to another, such as a tote or a backpack.
- Backpack: These diaper bags resemble a backpack. Most parents like this style because of its special pockets and compartments for storing essential items for the baby. This design evenly distributes weight across the shoulders, reducing strain on the arms. This ensures your arms are free so you can tend to the baby.
- Tote Bag: This diaper bag resembles an ordinary handbag or purse, typically featuring large straps or a set of smaller straps. Parents can conveniently carry the bag across their shoulders. This is a more fashionable design that is suitable for trendy mums.
Factors To Consider While Investing In A Diaper Bag
Here are a couple of factors you should consider before investing in a diaper bag for your little tot:
- Who Will Be Using the Bag: If you will be sharing the diaper bag with your partner, you ought to opt for a neutral design. In such cases, it is recommended you invest in a stylish messenger bag that both parents can conveniently use. If it isn’t much trouble, consider buying two diaper bags.
- Number of Children: If you have two or more children, it is best you invest in a larger diaper bag. This will make it easier for you to carry all the necessary items you need. However, a super large diaper bag isn’t a great option either since it may lead to over packing. This might cause you to over pack and carrying extra weight that might strain your arm.
- Waterproof: Ensure the diaper bag is waterproof so it is able to tolerate spills and stains.
- Machine Washable: Machine washable fabrics are a lifesaver since you don’t have to worry about scrubbing stains off with your bare hands. Opt for a machine-washable diaper bag for added convenience.
The Ultimate Diaper Bag Checklist
A well-stocked diaper bag can help you overcome all sorts of sticky situations that come with being a parent. Use this detailed checklist to ensure that you are fully prepared for your outing with your child:
- Diapers: What’s the point of carrying a diaper bag if it isn’t stocked with clean diapers? A general rule of thumb is to carry one diaper for each hour you will be out. However, it’s always a good idea to keep a couple of extra diapers.
- Changing Pad: Most diaper bags come with a plastic, reusable changing pad but you can always purchase one separately or pack an extra one. Some parents prefer disposable ones for travel so they can throw it out. A hand towel from home can also serve the purpose of a changing pad if you have forgotten one.
- Hand Sanitizer: Aside from wipes, you will need a hand sanitizer to clean your hands after a diaper change in case you don’t have the time or place to wash them.
- Wipes: Wipes are not only useful for diaper changes but can be used to clean surfaces and sticky hands. Pack around 10 or so if you are not carrying the entire bundle.
- Pacifier: Pack a pacifier if your baby uses one or any other comfort item that will help calm them down.
- Toys: Pack your baby’s favorite toy according to their age. This could be a rattle or a stuffed teddy bear.
- Biodegradable or Plastic Bags: You will need a biodegradable or plastic for throwing dirty diapers, storing clothes and baby blankets. If you are using plastic bags, ensure your child cannot get to it since these bags can serve as a choking or suffocation risk.
- Snacks: Depending on the age of your child, you can store snacks, such as a packet of biscuits or a jar of baby food with a spoon. Don’t forget to pack a bib as well.
- Bottles and Formula: A bottle of warm milk is the easiest way to calm down a fussy baby. Don’t forget your little bub’s bottle.
- Sippy Cup: Don’t forget to store a Sippy cup filled with water, milk or juice for toddlers. Ensure the top cap is sealed properly.
- Blanket: Babies and toddlers can take a nap practically anywhere so don’t forget to pack a blanket. You can use the blanket as a changing pad, bib, burp cloth, nursing cover etc.
- Sun Screen: Don’t forget to pack a hat or some sunscreen to protect your child from the sun. Invest in a sunscreen that is exclusively designed for babies.
- Extra Clothes for Your Child: Things are likely to get messy when you are travelling with an infant or a toddler, hence don’t forget to pack extra clothes.
- Diaper Rash Cream: You can never be too careful!
- Emergency: When you become a parent, you become responsible of a tiny human being so it’s time you start preparing for emergencies. Ensure you have your family’s doctor phone number and health insurance cards in your phone and wallet respectively. This way, you can immediately call for help if something goes wrong.
- Nursing cover
- Toys, coloring pages or board books
Checklist For Mums And Dads
- Mint, gum
- Sun glasses
- Water bottle
- Pen and notepad
- Book or magazine
- A clean shirt in case your baby has an accident
- First-aid kit
Our Top Diaper Bags Recommendations
Here are our top 3 recommendations:
Skip Hop Versa Expandable Diaper Bag
The Skip Hop Versa Expandable Diaper Bag is among the most popular diaper bags because of its style and added convenience. The bag features two insulated packets in the front that are spacious enough to hold Sippy cups, foods and drinks. Here are some notable features of this diaper bag:
- Expandable center that makes the bag 20% larger than it is
- Bag hangs neatly on your shoulders
- Features insulated pockets with secure zip closure
- BPA Free
Boxum 3 In 1 Portable Bassinet Diaper Change Station
The Boxum 3 in 1 Portable Bassinet Diaper Change Station is a travel smart bag that features both convenience and style. Both moms and dads can use this diaper bag to carry their little bub’s essential items. Some notable features of this diaper bag includes:
- The revolutionary diaper bag combines a changing table and portable bassinet whilst offering storage space
- Ultra possible bassinet
- Waterproof wipe clean mattress design
- Fitted sheet that makes it easier for parents to clean up leaks in a breeze
Skip Hop Duo Special Edition Diaper Bag
The Skip Hop Duo Special Edition Diaper Bag is a modern diaper bag has all the features you would look for in a contemporary diaper bag. The diaper bag also has an interior bottle pocket that allows you to conveniently store bottles, diapers and the list goes on. Here are some notable features of the diaper bag:
- Features adjustable stroller straps and rolled handles
- Magnetic enclosure
- Cushioned changing pad
- Hangs neatly on your shoulders
Hopefully, this handy guide has provided you all the information you need to invest in the best diaper bag. A well-stocked diaper bag will allow you to handle all kinds of sticky situations without panicking. Parenting may not be easy but staying organized makes the job less stressful so you can enjoy your days with your kid. Good luck!